How To Choose The Perfect Room Heater
The choice of buying a room heater is a great way to battle the chills and cold of winter. This is especially true for people residing in the northern and north-eastern parts of India where winters are particularly harsh. Yet the room heater has become a popular gadget to own even in the other parts of India which experience milder winters, because of the cosy comfort it imparts to a room.
- Powerful 2400 RPM copper winded motor for quick heating and can be used vertically or horizontally.
- Adjustable thermostat setting for temperature control
- Cool, Warm or Hot wind selection knob for heat setting
- Air throw range of 10 feet which is ideal for small to medium sized room
- Built-in overheating protection;Power: 2000 watts; Operating Voltage: 220 - 240 volts, 1 year warranty
- Meant for Spot Heating; Voltage/Frequency: 230V/50Hz/1 Phase
- Room Size: Upto 150 sq ft; Ideal for a small room only, i.e., up to 120 sq. ft
- Safety tip over switch cuts off the heater in case it tilts or falls; Powder coated finish to prevent corrosion
- Designed for low power consumption; There are two heating positions to suit your comfort
- Customer Care Number: 18001033111; Warranty: 1 year on product; Power: 400 and 800 watts
- Meant for Spot Heating; Safety Mesh Grill; 100% Pure Copper Wire Motor for longer life
- Room Size: Upto 250 sq ft
- Ideal for a small/medium sized room only. Makes some noise due to fan
- Non sagging, stitching type and long life heating element
- Safety cut-off , Auto-revolving Heater , Overheat Protection , Touch Sensor
- Cool touch body with One year warranty
- Warranty: One year warranty
- Includes: room Heater
- Heat setting: Two heat Settings: 1000 W & 2000 W ; Peak Air Velocity: 3.0 m/s ; Power input: (220 - 240)V ; Power consumption: 1000 W , 2000 W ; Frequency (hertz): AC 50 Hz
- Orpat Oeh-1220 OEH-1220 Fan Room Heater
- Power Consumed: 2000 W
- Overheat Protection
- Auto-revolving Heater
- 2 Heat Setting Knob
- Meant for Spot Heating
- Room Size: Upto 150 sq ft, Overheat Protection: Yes
- ISI Mark
- 1 year warranty
- Usha heat convector with three heating positions - 665/ 1330/2000 watts
Features to look for
When buying a room heater for the first time, it is very important for the buyer to know, understand and check out the below given basic features like:
- Types: Currently there are three types of room heaters which are quite popular. This classification is based on their heating technology like:
- Fan heaters which use the conventional method of using a coil to heat the air around it and then blowing it out with the help of a fan,
- Infrared heaters heat up quickly and are great for small spaces since heat generated is radiated out and
- Oil filled heater which use stored oil as a heat reservoir thereby consuming less electricity and also giving out warmth for a long time after it has been switched off.
- Wattage: For a heater to be effective and produce more heat, it needs to have a higher wattage. But care must be taken to see if the heater comes with a 5amp or a 15amp plug since heaters with wattage of around 1000 have 5amps plugs but anything above would require a 15 amp plug point.
- Auto-switch: The presence of an automatic on-off switch is actually a safety precaution which turns the gadget off in stances when:
- It either tips over or
- The protective grill is touched.
- Length of power cord: The longer the power cord, the easier it will be to place the heater at an appropriate place. Hence in order to avoid the use of an extension cord, it is best to opt for room heaters with a longer cord length.
- Carbon monoxide detectors: It is recommended to opt for a room heater which is able to constantly monitor the carbon monoxide levels and shut down if and when it reaches a critical point. This is of great help in homes wherein one or more residents suffer from breathing problems or asthma.
- Other safety features: The presence of the safety features need to be checked on priority if there are kids staying at home. These features include heat guards, timers, anti-tipping features etc.
Famous Room Heater Brands
Brands associated with the make and marketing of room heaters are:
- Morphy Richards,
- Crompton Greaves etc.
Staying back at home during the cold winter months has never been as comfortable as in the presence of a room heater spreading its warmth around the room. With prices which are quite affordable and ranging from INR800 to about INR3000, the room heater has become a winter staple in many homes.